A quick note before we start with the May in Ireland - this is a listing of the events, holidays and other remarkable, calendar-related things that come up every year. A general introduction to the Irish month of May, so to say.
The listings will be added to over time, with links to related content, so see it very much as a work in progress.
If you think that an event or date merits inclusion here (not one-off events, please, only well-established and regular ones), do not hesitate to drop me a line ...
- First Monday in May - Spring Bank Holiday (Republic of Ireland only).
- Last Monday in May - Spring Bank Holiday (Northern Ireland only - also see the complete lists of public holidays in the Republic of Ireland and public holidays in Northern Ireland).
May in the Irish Calendar
- May 1st - Bealtaine (ancient holiday, today mainly celebrated by Neo-Pagans).
- May 1st - International Workers Day (events organised by trade unions take place around this day in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, but the day is not designated a public holiday).
- May 16th - Feast Day of Saint Brendan the Navigator
Regular May Events in Ireland
- The Fleadh Nua music festival takes over the streets and pubs of Ennis, County Clare.