A quick note before we start with the dark and dreary November in Ireland - this is a listing of the events, holidays and other remarkable, calendar-related things that come up every year. A general introduction to the Irish month of November, so to say.
The listings will be added to over time, with links to related content, so see it very much as a work in progress.
If you think that an event or date merits inclusion here (not one-off events, please, only well-established and regular ones), do not hesitate to drop me a line ...
- There are no public holidays in Ireland during November (see the complete lists of public holidays in the Republic of Ireland and public holidays in Northern Ireland for more details).
November in the Irish Calendar
- November 5th - Guy Fawkes Night (rarely celebrated even in Unionist communities).
- Remembrance Sunday is held on the Sunday nearest to November 11th - mainly in Northern Ireland.
- November 11th - Saint Martin's Day or Martinmas, an almost forgotten celebration.
- The first Advent Sunday may fall in late November, heralding Christmas.
Regular November Events in Ireland
- All the main churches in Ireland (Catholic, Anglican and Presbyterian) would celebrate Thanksgiving (or rather Harvest Festivals) in October and November, the exact timing is down to the local community.