A quick note before we start with the October in Ireland - this is a listing of the events, holidays and other remarkable, calendar-related things that come up every year. A general introduction to the Irish month of October, so to say.
The listings will be added to over time, with links to related content, so see it very much as a work in progress.
If you think that an event or date merits inclusion here (not one-off events, please, only well-established and regular ones), do not hesitate to drop me a line ...
- Last Monday in October - Bank Holiday (Republic of Ireland only - also see the complete lists of public holidays in the Republic of Ireland and public holidays in Northern Ireland)
October in the Irish Calendar
- October 31st - Samhain (starts at sundown)
- October 31st - Halloween (the American import that almost replaced Samhain)
Regular October Events in Ireland
- Wexford Festival Opera starts towards the end of the month.
- The Dublin Marathon is held on the Bank Holiday Monday.
- All the main churches in Ireland (Catholic, Anglican and Presbyterian) would celebrate Thanksgiving (or rather Harvest Festivals) in October and November, the exact timing is down to the local community.