Ever wondered who actually visits Ireland? Here are the statistics, gleaned from publications by Fáilte Ireland ...
Visitors to Ireland - Their Country of Origin
Just under 7,600,000 visitors are on domestic trips (Irish and Northern Irish vacationers) and just under 6,400,000 foreign visitors add to the throng.
Largest national groups are
- Great Britain with nearly 1,600,000 visitors,
- the USA with around 870,000 guests,
- Germany providing nearly 300,000 tourist,
- France accounting for a slightly lower number and
- nearly 190,000 Italians.
Favorite Irish Areas for Overseas TouristsNorth are still quiet areas.
What does the Average Tourist Spend Money on in Ireland?
Europeans spend their money in these proportions:
- 34% for food and drink,
- 32% for bed and board,
- 16% for shopping,
- 8% for internal transport and
- 4% for sightseeing and entertainment.
North Americans spend their money in these proportions:
- 31% for food and drink,
- 28% for bed and board,
- 18% for shopping,
- 10% for internal transport and
- 6% for sightseeing and entertainment.
How do Tourists get to Ireland?
Travel to Ireland is, as expected, dominated by air travel.
Europeans arrive by these means:
- 73% by air from Europe,
- 16% by air from Great Britain,
- 7% by ferry from Great Britain and
- 4% by ferry from mainland Europe.
North Americans arrive by these means:
- 54% directly on transatlantic flights,
- 33% by air from Great Britain,
- 8% by air from Europe,
- 4% by ferry from Great Britain and
- less than half a percent by ferry from mainland Europe.
What Accommodation do Visitors Prefer in Ireland?
Europeans stay at these accommodations:
- 23% in self-catering accommodation,
- 19% with friends or relatives,
- 18% in guesthouses and B&Bs,
- 17% in hotels,
- 5% in hostels and
- 4% are camping or using a caravan.
North Americans stay at these accommodations:
- 36% in hotels,
- 20% with friends or relatives,
- 19% in guesthouses and B&Bs,
- 13% in self-catering accommodation,
- 4% in hostels and
- less than one in twohundred are camping or using a caravan.
Favorite Activities of Tourists in Ireland
What is the Typical Vacationer?
A couple, older than 44 years and earning money in a white-collar job.
- Age Groups
- 20% under 25 years,
- 18% 25 to 34 years,
- 17% 35 to 44 years and
- 44% older than 44 years.
- Professional Status
- 56% white-collar workers,
- 23% managerial or professional staff,
- 16% skilled workers and
- 4% unskilled workers.
- Travel Groups
- 41% couples,
- 24% individual tourists,
- 18% families and
- 17% other adult groups.