Planning a Trip to Ireland - Essential Preparations for an Irish Vacation
By Bernd Biege, About.com Guide
- Visa Requirements and Travel Planning Essentials
- Budgeting for Ireland and Other Financial Matters
- Getting Around Ireland
- Where to Stay in Ireland
- Eating and Drinking the Irish Way
- Read All About It - Guidebooks and Travelogues
Visa Requirements and Travel Planning Essentials
Do you know how to get to Ireland, what type of visa you need and how long you can stay? If not, have a glimpse at these articles designed to help you on your way.
- Entry Requirements for Visitors to Ireland - Passports, Visas and Vaccinations
- Ports of Entry - A Complete List of Ireland's Airports
- Irish Customs Regulations - What Can You Bring into Ireland?
- Things You Shouldn't Leave for Ireland Without - Some Essentials
Budgeting for Ireland and Other Financial Matters
Ireland has ceased to be a bargain travel destination - but cheaper flights may offset some of the expenses spawned by the "Celtic Tiger" economy. Visitors should be aware of the easiest ways to save money. And you may also enjoy a lot of free attractions.
- Money Matters - Cash, Credit Cards and Traveler's Checks in Ireland
- Value for Money on Your Vacation in Ireland - Where and How to Save
- Irish Value Added Tax Refund - How to Shop Cheaper in Ireland
Getting Around Ireland
While a rental car is by far the most convenient way yo see Ireland, there are alternatives. And pitfalls - the Irish drive on the left side of the narrow road and use smaller cars that might struggle with you luggage ... be prepared!
- Renting a Car in Ireland - What to Consider
- Driving Tips for Ireland - Staying on the Safe Side
- Around Ireland Without a Car - Public Transport
- Ireland on Two Pedal-Driven Wheels - A Cycling Vacation
- Hiking in Ireland - Walking the Irish Walk
Where to Stay in Ireland
Unless you are on a day trip you will have to find a place to stay - Ireland offers a wide and bewildering choice, from cozy B&Bs to anonymous motels, from multy-bed hostel rooms to suites in old castles. Quality and prices vary ...
- Accommodation 101 - What to Expect and What to Consider
- Mobile Maritime Accommodation - Cruising on Ireland's Inland Waterways
- Haunted Hostelries - Sleepover with Spooks
Eating and Drinking the Irish Way
While most visitors enthuse about Irish drink, the cuisine of Ireland is much maligned. Mostly due to unrealistic expectations - outside the major urban centers cooking tends to be parochial and down to earth. But tasty! And if you had your share of stew, coddle and boxty there are always European and ethnic restaurants to be found.
- Original Irish Foods - What to Feast on in Ireland
- Fast Food Outlets in Ireland - The Quick Bite with an Irish Flavor
- Favorite Irish Drinks - Alcoholic Beverages in Ireland
Read All About It - Guidebooks and Travelogues
We are spoilt for choice: Getting a guide book to Ireland is easy - any large bookstore will stock a few and there are dozens more available to order. Travel literature on the Emerald Isle also abounds, as do all sorts of books about Ireland. But which ones come recommended?